Flyer News’ First Four Food, Drink and Dessert Picks
Photo courtesy of Flyer News.
Flyer News Staff
Dayton is a basketball city! We are glad you are here for the First Four as we kick off the NCAA March Madness tournament. Whether you’re a native enjoying a few days of open practices and games, you’re here with the team or you’re traveling to watch your favorite school take a chance at the big dance, Dayton is happy to play host.
Flyer News, the University of Dayton’s student-run newspaper, compiled a list of our staff’s favorite places to drink and dine in the Dayton area while you enjoy your stay here in the Gem City! Take it from us, Daytonians and transplants alike, we know some fun places around UD.
Check us out on social media, @flyernews on all platforms, and let us know if you try any of our picks!
Flyer News First Four Staff Picks:
- Flying Pizza – Here is a fun one to go with your alumni friends and family. It’s been around since 1971 and sells New York- and Sicilian-style pizza. Watch them make the pizza in real time and be a part of the rich history.
- Thai 9 – Located in the Oregon District, this place has anything from sushi to stir fry to noodle dishes. Alongside its wide variety of menu items and fantastic hand-crafted cocktails, you get to choose your spice level from 1-9. There’s not a bad option on the menu, but make sure you try the yakisoba!
- Old Scratch Pizza – Their pizza is killer, with a few very interesting combinations you won’t find anywhere else. I love their house-made hot honey on any of their signature pizzas. Of course, you can build your own, too! It’s a great place for the whole family, but also has a huge local beer list and wine on-tap.
- Jimmy’s Ladder 11 – This restaurant is situated inside of an old firehouse, so the atmosphere and décor is very unique and just a neat place to dine. The food there is amazing, too, which is a bonus! The sweet potato fries are delicious, and their sandwiches are worth the praise.
- Wheat Penny Oven and Bar – They have amazing food if you’re looking for a nicer, sitdown Italian restaurant. There is a cool, rustic vibe inside that makes the place feel very comfortable. I highly recommend the eggplant fries!
- Milano’s Pizza, Subs & Taps – You can sit at a table with friends or get a drink at the bar, but as long as you get the Buffalo Chicken Dip appetizer, you can’t go wrong here.
- Rusty Taco – This is sort of a double between Restaurants and Bars. Grab yourself a frozen Margarita and crowd around a table with all your closest friends and share some chips and queso while you chat. It’s worth it for the fun straws.
- Dublin Pub – Doubling as a restaurant, the Dublin Pub was voted Dayton’s best pub. The establishment is not only known for its connection to Irish history, but for their award-winning wedge fries smothered in cheese and bacon. Hosting every type of whiskey and scotch you could imagine, the bartenders have an extensive list to ensure your glass is always filled with something.
- Kramer’s Bar & Grill – This is a great, casual place to go for food and drinks with a group of friends. The pool table truly sets the scene! Darts and arcade games are also available.
- Bill’s Doughnuts – This one is a bit of a trek, but it’s open 24/7, so you can go whenever you want. Get some doughnuts to fuel up before or after a game and see how many UD students you can find there. P.S., you’ll probably find a lot of band or theater people there.
- Graeter’s Ice Cream- Starting in Cincinnati, this ice cream chain will have your mouth watering from the moment you walk in and smell the fresh waffle cones. Graeter’s offers seasonal flavors in tandem with their various year-round flavors such as Buckeye Blitz, Boldly Bearcat and Black Raspberry Chocolate Chip. It only takes one delicious scoop to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Twist Cupcakery- Right downtown sits a UD alum-owned cupcake shop with different treat flavors daily. The best thing about Twist is that they put a twist on their flavor selection, so it’s not just run-of-the-mill chocolate and vanilla. Their cookie dough cupcake is to die for, but you can’t go wrong with any of their daily flavors. They also do YOLO brownies, which are fantastic and they have cupcake-in-jar treats to take home.
For more sports news, like Flyer News on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@FlyerNews & @FlyerNewsSports) and Instagram (@flyernews).