UD men’s basketball withdraws from Crossover Classic in South Dakota

Uncertainty around a schedule for the UD men’s basketball team has been heightened by their withdrawal from the MTE in South Dakota. Photo courtesy of Flyer News.

Peter Burtnett
Sports Editor

The UD men’s basketball team has withdrawn from the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic in South Dakota, sources told college basketball insiders Jeff Goodman and Jon Rothstein. The news was confirmed to Dayton Daily News writer-photographer David Jablonski by UD Director of Athletics Neil Sullivan.

Reported by Goodman and Rothstein at 8:24 p.m., the Flyers will no longer play in the multi-team event (MTE) held from Nov. 25-27. Their first game was scheduled to be against the Wichita State Shockers.

Ohio State had previously withdrawn from the MTE Thursday due to quarantine regulations upon return to Ohio.

The withdrawal from the MTE is a big blow for the Flyers, but there are still three games currently confirmed by their opponents on the schedule.

In a media availability session Thursday, head coach Anthony Grant recognized the uncertainty around playing a season in the middle of a pandemic.

“You see teams that are going through different phases of dealing with the with the virus at every level,” Grant said. “So you know we we aren’t immune and certainly can’t predict what the future holds, but, you know, the thing I try to tell our group is to make sure we do all we can control our controllable. And then, you know, we take it one day at a time and and try to try to improve on a daily basis.”

For more sports news like Flyer News on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@FlyerNews & @FlyerNewsSports) and Instagram (@flyernews)