Jalen Crutcher named Dayton men’s basketball MVP for third time
Dayton Flyers men’s basketball senior Jalen Crutcher highlighted the team awards as the 2020-21 MVP. Photo courtesy of Griffin Quinn, Flyer News.
Flyers men’s basketball senior guard Jalen Crutcher was named the White-Allen Most Valuable Player for the third time at Tuesday’s private team banquet and awards ceremony.
Crutcher became the first three-time winner since Chris Wright, and earned the honor on his own after sharing the award with Obi Toppin last year. Crutcher currently ranks 16th in men’s basketball history with 1,593 points, and led the team with 17.6 points in 38.1 minutes played per game over the 24-game season.
Wright won the award in 2009 (shared with Marcus Johnson), 2010 and 2011, joining Brian Roberts (2005-08), Ryan Perryman (1996-98), Roosevelt Chapman (1982-84), Jim Paxson (1977-79), Donald Smith (1972-74) and Henry Finkel (1963-66) as the other three-time winners of the award.
The full list of the awards is as follows:
- LEX SCHOEN FREE THROW PERCENTAGE – JALEN CRUTCHER
- JOHN L. MACBETH SCHOLAR-ATHLETE – JORDY TSHIMANGA
- DR. GEORGE RAU SPIRIT AWARD – CAMRON GREER & CHRISTIAN WILSON
- “SHORTY” SHARPENTER TOP REBOUNDER – JORDY TSHIMANGA
- CHRIS DANIELS MEMORIAL AWARD, most improved player – ZIMI NWOKEJI
- THOMAS M. LUPPE MEMORIAL AWARD, awarded to first-year player who “best demonstrates the courage, desire and integrity” of Luppe – MUSTAPHA AMZIL
- STEVE McELVENE BEST DEFENDER AWARD – RODNEY CHATMAN & JORDY TSHIMANGA
- UHL FAMILY ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP – R.J. BLAKNEY & KOBY BREA
- JAMES G. & PURCELL S. PALMER SCHOLARSHIP, presented to the Flyer who “best embodies (James’) characteristics, on and off the court” – IBI WATSON
For more sports news like Flyer News on Facebook and follow us on Twitter (@FlyerNews & @FlyerNewsSports) and Instagram (@flyernews)